Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Favorite and Familiar Things




It is hazy even down here in New Mexico. How can the country be so out of kilter from one end to the other at exactly the same time? My thoughts are on the storm headed for Florida, the recovery from one in Texas, and the horrible fires in the West. Bless us all!




It's hard to stay steady these days, and so it's more important than ever to feed the soul. I'm trying to keep life simple, and focus on the everyday beauty in my small world. This little bunch of lavender from a friend is one example.




She brought in a fragrant armful fresh from her yard to the shop, and we each made up a bunch or two to bring home. Not much color is left in this dried bunch, but it still smells heavenly. The sage bundle is from the Old Town tea shop that I visited earlier in summer. It brings good energy to whatever spot it's in. A little aromatherapy goes a long way! And a pretty linen liner dresses it up.




I wanted to show you this gorgeous cupboard door that I found at the flea market and painted white. I always forget to do the before pictures! But just imagine it in a dark mahogany. The white brings out the beautiful relief design. It was even already wired for hanging.




All the vintage details are there, and only leave you to imagine the original piece from which it came.





For now it's just leans against the wall where it catches the dramatic early light.





We had what I think may be the last big hurrah of summer over the Labor Day weekend. A big outing with visiting family. So the quiet now settles in as the light also catches a few of my favorite and familiar things. 




I always take pleasure in the habitual routine of washing things up and setting things to rights. The table coverings are just a little bit more worn than they were last summer. A bit more soft and faded too, like the past year's memories have already become.




There is solace in returning to the comfort of one's ordinary things. That somehow seems a heavier statement than I mean it to be, but all cliches are coming home to roost this September!




Wearing white is officially put aside after Labor Day by tradition. But it is the mainstay for everything else around the place. It just gets cozy-ed up a tad for fall.





I really love sepia anytime, but I recently came across the most adorable greeting card company in my travels. (Don't ask me where.) I need a slew of birthday cards every year, and so I pick them up in batches. I'm always thrilled to find ones I really love.




Homey themes. And these even have nice quotes on the back!





I wonder if domestic life is why so many of us love it when autumn comes again. I don't think it's just the pumpkins! Haha! Already seeing plenty of those!





But I, for one, am glad to the return to simple tasks. Back to a semi-empty calendar. To routine. To the sights and scents that only whisper "home."







Take care out there.

And Happy September Days to you!

Jacqueline








FB-party-logo_600

12 comments:

  1. Dear Jacqueline,
    Always a delight visiting your beautiful blog and seeing all the loveliness that you share with us. Thank you for allowing us to be part of it!
    Blessings,
    ~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your white linens and old time style. It is a relief that fall is finally on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the effect of white linens interspersed with lace and edging though they are the most difficult to keep white and crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see all the things in your blog. All looks beautiful with mild color:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog, Jacqueline. Love the beautiful linens and especially love the gorgeous cupboard door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always swoon through your posts Jacqueline. Love the cute greeting cards. Love your new cupboard door you painted white. Just gorgeous. Happy Thursday.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jacqueline and Happy September. I love what you said about things being soft and faded like memories. Beautiful. Haze from the fires is terrible here in Denver too. But no complaints when I see the news from the hurricanes. Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can be...Simple and exquisite at the same time?!!Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

  9. Oh, I just love all those simple, clean, white vignettes. Sometimes I think white and shades of white are my favorite colors. They are so calming to me, who tends to be a bit anxiety ridden, anyway. Too much bright color means too much "noise" to me. I like it, but in small doses only.

    I'm going to check out the cards, too. The company is in my home state of Michigan.

    Nice post; I'll look forward to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is indeed a sad and unnerving world beyond our little homes, Jacqueline, and all the more comforting that this is the nestling season. That door is just beautiful! Surrounding ourselves with beauty is such a comfort amidst so much uncertainty. Oh! And what lovely cards! I have a passion for cards and own way too many. Hah! Hoping as you settle in for the start of autumn you will feel content being surrounded by all that beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our climate is in a serious big mess and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I'm glad you have a haven there -- fabulous cupboard. I've seen those cards and in fact, have bought some and plan to buy quite a handful when I head back to the lake where I've seen them. They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!